We all know that WhatsApp has over 450 million users, but to get it to work, the app requires a mobile number. If you are looking to become part of this huge community but don’t own a smartphone, then there is good news for you.
WhatsApp can be installed on PCs and tablet devices (including iPads). You can follow the instructions below and be part of the free messaging app. We will however cover Android tablets and PCs only.
Installation guide for Android tablets
Here is what you need to do to download WhatsApp on an Android tablet without a SIM card:
- Enable your tablet to install unknown sources by going to settings, and then securities followed by Unknown Sources
- Open any browser on your tablet and go to the download page of WhatsApp.
- Download the ‘WhatsApp.apk’ from the link provided above.
- Install WhatsApp.apk
- When the app prompts you for your phone number, punch it in and wait for the verification code to arrive.
- Now because your device is without a SIM card, the app wont be able to receive the verification code but in five minutes’ time it will give you another option of voice verification. Choose this option so the code can then come on your phone.
- Enter the code in your tablet.
- Once done, you are ready to use the app.
If however, your tablet already has a SIM card slot, the procedure becomes pretty straightforward:
- Download the WhatsApp file in your browser.
- Make sure your tablet has the setting to install apps from unknown sources.
- Install the app.
- Provide all the necessary details
- Verify your phone number
- Start using the app.
Installing WhatsApp on the PC can be a bit trickier, but here are the steps to get it done:
- You need to download an Android Emulator for your PC, we suggest you use the BlueStacks App
- Once you download the emulator, set it up on your PC. This includes downloading game data, signing in with your Google Account and setting up other app features. Let it. That’s how the app works.
- Once the app is running, it will look like your Google App store.
- Now all you need is WhatsApp APK file which you can get from the download page of WhatsApp.
- Open the APK file in BlueStacks (it will do this automatically)
- Follow the on screen instructions which will be a lot like those mentioned above for tablet.
- Once installed, a desktop shortcut for WhatsApp will be generated for your PC
- Now you can start using WhatsApp by just clicking on the desktop icon!
Configuring WhatsApp on your PC is pretty simple. Here are the steps
- Enter your country name, mobile number and select ‘OK’
- Your phone will receive a verification message with a three-digit code
- Type in the code on your PC
- WhatsApp is now configured and ready to use!
Installing WhatsApp on other devices is not very straight forward as compared to installing it on smartphones but you will need to go an extra mile to get the most sought-after app in the market.
If you have any questions, let us know and we will help you out in any possible way we can. Do note that Google Nexus 7 4G LTE devices that have been updated with KitKat 4.4.2 or later version cannot receive text messages but we have a fix for that, so do check it out.